The Independent Living Skills program is a series of workshops that are to be held at Youth Connections North Coast. Commencing on Monday 16th July 2012 and every Monday after that for ten weeks, each session will start at 4.30 and finish at 6.30. During the sessions young people will have the opportunity to participate in various group work activities as well as preparing and eating food together. The program is opened to all young people (16 -24) in the Lismore LGA who are homeless, at risk of being homeless or are thinking of moving into independent living.
The aim of these workshops is to help young people gain independent living skills, increase confidence and move closer to taking control of their own health and wellbeing.
Some of the topics the program will cover include:
- budgeting, cooking and nutrition – guest chef presentations and themed ingredient nights/ master chef challenges
- job seeking skills – presentations from job networks
- entering the rental market; guest presentations from local real estate agents- what do the agents really look for in an applicant?
- social, community and family connections – managing emotions and relationships, exploring communications styles/strategies, identity and healthy relationships
- technology, mobiles and the internet – the benefits and implications for young people
- young people’s rights and the law – guest presentations from legal aid
- wellbeing – sexual, mental and general health; accessing services, playing safe, harm minimization – guest presenters from service providers.